How to help yourself when you contract Covid
Tips from a privileged, urban, millennial woman
This situation sucks donkey balls. You are covid positive. You have to be physically isolated, take care of the family outside isolation, manage your office job, re-schedule other commitments, face questions like “but how did you get it?”, reply to “get well soon/take care” wishes, have your meds on time, follow the doctor’s instructions to the T, basically just be a super productive Ninja! This can get overwhelming and non-joyous.
Hello there fellow lazy-zens and fatigue catchers – I hope this list helps you a little.
[edit 1]: Post writing all the details, I am overwhelmed with this list myself! So…take your time, breathe and discuss the list with your friends and family.
Things that every home should always have
Say hello to our buds:
· Electric Kettle
· A multipurpose trolley with wheels
· Face Steamer
· Rapid antigen home testing kit
· Digital BP measuring machine
· Sugar checking machine
· An extra set of N95 masks
· Disposable plates, spoons, bowls, glasses
· Stretchable rope with hooks to hang clothes
· Extra set of batteries of all sizes that your BP machine and oximeter will require
· A rack/stool outside your door with sanitizer for all visitors and guests
· A whatsapp group called “Emergency Details” with the following numbers: (1.) Tried and tested 24x7 medical stores and grocery that take orders through whatsapp, payments through paytm and do home delivery. (2.) Tried and tested contact details of home-made food + tiffin services around your area (3.)Names and numbers of your colleagues at work (4.) Contact details of your doctor
· An amazon prime account
· For women, an app that tracks your monthly menstrual cycle
· Intra housing society intercom should be working at all times
· Get urban company to install hooks in all bathrooms and balconies to hang clothes in case of emergency
· Most important – please have a whatsapp account. Whatsapp is your best friend. Saying “I am only available on sms” is not cool anymore.
Things to do when recieve the news of you being covid positive
Resist the urge to call Daddy Mummy; living far far away and cry your eyes out. You can of course do that, but later. First things first:
1. Isolate yourself in the room with the attached loo. Take your phone and charger along with you
2. Drop a message in your housing society’s whatsapp group (something like: Dear Neighbours, I (insert name); from (insert flat number) have been tested positive for covid at (insert date and time). I have isolated myself in a room. Other family members have tested negative and they will be re-testing after five days. They too will be isolated at home. I will be in touch with the society’s governing body and follow all covid appropriate rules. Thank you.)
3. Call the housing society secretary and inform him/her, requesting for the following: (3.1) a note on the latest isolation guidelines by the local municipal corporation (3.2) help with instructing the security guards at main gate to deliver all your packages at your door-step
4. Call your immediate neighbors on the same floor as you and inform them; saying that you are taking due care and they should feel free to call you to express any concerns they may have
5. Call your house help: cook, maids etc, milk man, car cleaner, iron wala etc. and pause their duties
6. Add money to your paytm account
7. Download Dunzo on your phone
8. Inform your reporting manager and your reportees at work by a quick whatsapp message, saying you will be unavailable today; as you are going to be busy organizing and streamlining health and home related actionables due to a covid positive rtpcr result
Step 1: Note down the following levels in your diary: Spo2, pulse, temperature, BP, sugar.
Step 2: Call your doctor, inform all symptoms and readings
Step 3: Take prescription. Send to medical store on whatsapp. Ask for bill. Pay by paytm. Send paytm screenshot to medical store guy.
Step 4: Consume meds and you begin your medical care
Step 5: Log in your medical readings in a table in your diary. Measure them twice a day, at the same time; throughout the course prescribed by the doc
· Rows: Date & Time
· Columns: spo2, temperature, pulse, BP, sugar(if advised)
Step 6: In a separate page in your diary, make a time chart of your day & date of day 1 of symptoms and day 1 of meds. On the same page, write down the exact medicinal course advised
Things to discuss with members living at home
Do this in a phone call with your non-isolated family members:
· They need to expect the door bell to ring often; as you will be ordering things that you need
· You are going to be resting henceforth, so minimal calls or messages need to happen
· All items meant for you need to be placed on a stool outside your door. They will have to spray this stool with a sanitizer regularly.
· They need to knock your door after placing items. (my daughter knocks thrice like Sheldon Cooper and has a good laugh ;P)
· Food items should always be given in disposable cutlery
· DO NOT OVERCOMMUNICATE with your family about what you are feeling, what is going to be delivered- at the door etc. They are intelligent, capable of comprehending what’s coming at the door and what needs to be sent to you. They are also; most likely feeling helpless, worried and trying to manage all the duties you did for the home. Let them figure out their stuff. Your job is to manage YOU.
· Apologise for the inconvenience, ask for extra patience. If you are the fun-police of your family like me – you will have to say thank you a million times in this call.- :P
Things you need in your room and bathroom
Clear out all décor, extra books and other non-essential items and make space for the following items. My ikea trolley is just the best to help me stay organized; especially in situations like these.
· Garbage bags + Dust Bin
· Tissue Paper
· Organising baskets / trays
· Large towels, hand towels
· 10 bottles of Bisleri
· Headphones + charger
· Books / Kindle + charger
· Tea Bags
· Dabur honitus Hot Sip Sachets
· A set of 10 Disposable cutlery items
· Toilet Rolls
· Clothes washing powder / liquid
· Bucket + Mug
· Stretchable rope
· All your meds
· Salt for gargles
· An empty water bottle
· Keep ordering fruits / whatever you desire to keep you healthy, sane and happy from Dunzo. Dunzo is quick and reliable.
REST and TENDER LOVE & CARE BEGINS
· Inform your people, inform people that you are pausing commitments
· Call your friends nearby, tell them you will be shamelessly calling them for help, food, and whatever that you may need
· Ask for video content recommendations
· Read. Write. Do whatever you can within your energy levels
· Your mind will play games with you. You may travel the path of self-pity. You may try to project your feelings to the ones close to you. Be Aware.
Dear Little one, now that you have all of this organised:
Twiddle your toes.
Move your hands.
Reply to messages only when you feel like.
Sleep and rest a LOT.
And remember: This too, shall pass.